What web hosting means
Learn all about webhosting and how it is used to build websites
While there are a number of free web hosting packages, generally they carry too many limitations to be of any real value. Set up your own Blogpost or WordPress.com if you want free hosting (see our article on starting a blog re this) So the cheapest paid way to get your website up, is to use shared hosting.
Shared hosting means that your website will be hosted on a server with a whole stack of other websites. Depending on the company, there could be anywhere between about 20 and 100 websites on the server.
So what’s good about shared hosting?
- Shared hosting is cheap. The cheapest plans start at less than $5 per month.
- It is also really easy to understand and install, with no technical knowledge required.
What’s not so good?
- Because your site is shared with others, it can be slow if there are too many other sites on the server
- Your site is open to security threats, or being blacklisted because of the actions of someone else
- Cheaper plans don’t tend to come with great customer service
VPS (Virtual Private Server) Hosting
VPS Hosting is a type of hosting where a number of virtual servers are created on one physical server. It may sound the same as shared hosting but it’s very different.
There are two basic types of VPS hosting.
- Self Managed VPS where you have total control over the server and are responsible for lots of the technical aspects
- Managed VPS, where the hosting company takes care of the technical stuff. Managed VPS is more expensive, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, or don’t want to hire someone who does, then it’s a better option.
What’s good about VPS Hosting?
- Your site will or at least should run faster
- You will have your own CPU, RAM and storage
- You will have root access
What’s not so good?
- It’s more expensive
- You’ll need more technical knowledge, even if you choose a Managed VPS option
- Customer service and;